My Blog List

Thursday, July 22, 2021

 July 22, 2021

We have been busy at the projects, here on the ridge.

Today we processed our first picking of the Anaheim Green Chili.  We love this type of pepper, and it is very flavorful.  It is not a hot pepper, but it is spicy, especially when they are roasted.  The following photos will walk through on how we process the peppers.




There were over 20 peppers ready.  This is the first picking and we should get at least two more pickings before the close of the garden.  I will keep them in the ground till the first frost.  I am figuring that we should end up with at least a bushel, when it’s all said and done.

We just use the regular grill and roast them.




It does not take long to give them a good char.  After they are charred, they need to be removed and put under a towel, so they can be peeled.



Then once peeled, and the top pinched off, they go in the bags and hit the freezer!


So, we got three packs for the freezer, and one pack for breakfast burritos tomorrow!
That’s about the best project I could ever ask for, because we absolutely love these roasted chilies, and they brighten our cold weather mornings in the winter.  

Hope y’all have a terrific weekend, and keep those sunny days happy!

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous peppers! What a pretty little box you pick your harvest into. I can smell those peppers grilling! Doesn't it feel good to start packing stuff away for winter? How were the burritos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosalea! That little garden hod was a gift that I got two years ago, and came from Lehman’s , here in the US. The burritos were fabulous! I love packing the freezer, and lining the shelves with goodies! Do you ever roast peppers? Have a perfect weekend!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I have a recipe for roasted red pepper ketchup that is very nice. I have roasted them under the broiler in the gas stove. The BBQ is a great idea.

      Delete
  2. It's exciting to see such a good harvest. And thank you so much for the how-to of roasting and preserving your peppers! This is something I've never tried, but am interested in. I've never tried that particular type of pepper either. I like the description of spicy but not hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! The Anaheim seems to be the only pepper that does well for me, but then it doesn’t hurt that we love them! The spicy flavor may come from the roasting, as I have never had them without first roasting…maybe I should do that some time ;) !

      Delete
  3. Oh what a neat post Dino!!! And did I finally catch a little glimpse of you? :))) I love that you did a tutorial of how you preserve your peppers! They look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rain! Yes, you did catch me in the photos. We absolutely love those green chili. I put a pork loin in the crockpot with onions and celery in the bottom, and a bit of water to cover them, and then put the chili cut up on top of the loin, and cook for about 5 hours on high, and it makes a great supper, with left overs the next morning with eggs… anyway…sorry to be so windy! Thanks loads for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete